Thursday, February 2, 2012

Puffy Soap

For school child #1 has to do a science fair type project, her teacher told me that since the students have to do this they might as will enter it into the school’s Science Fair, so we are.  A few months ago I found this on Pinterest and we tried it at home and the kids LOVED it so much. So when I heard #1 had to do a science project I wondered what other soaps puff up when you put them in the microwave, I asked #1 if she wanted to do this with other soap and she was all over it. Here are our results of 7 different soaps in #1's words. Also I forgot to take a before picture for 2 of the soaps, but you get the idea seeing half of the bar cooked and the other uncooked side by side.
 
My Variables:
My independent variable or the one thing I plan to change is the different soaps.  My dependent variable or the change I will measure is the puffed up  soaps.  My controlled variables or the thing I will keep the same, are the same minutes that the soap it in the microwave- 1 minute.                                                                                          

My Hypothesis:
The soaps will puff up when I put them in the microwave.

Materials:
7 different kinds of soap
1 Microwave
1 Cutting board
1 knife
7 paper bowls
Procedure Steps:
First- I will get a knife get the 7 soap bars and un-wrap the paper on the 7 soaps and then cut them in half.
Second- I will get 7 paper bowls for each soap bar.
Third- When they are in 7 bowls I will put them in the microwave one at a time for 1 minute each.
Forth- I will measure the puff for each soap.

My Conclusion:
My conclusion is that 6 of the 7 soaps puff.  Some big and some small, 1 soap puff was soft and fell apart, 3 soap puffs were kind of hard, 1 soap puffed medium, burned and was really hard, 1 soap puffed very little and the last soap did not puff and melted. My hypothesis was mostly right all but one of the soaps puffed up.

Caress- it melted all the way, smelled horrible and was smokey. There was no puff to measure.

Yardley- when I took it out it was bubbling, the puff was really hard and burnt. Smoked and smelled really bad. The puff was 1/2 inch tall.

Lever 2000-smelled really good when cooking and puffed up kind of hard and no smoke while cooking. The puff was 3 inches high.

Dial- puff was a medium hard after cooking, looked like orange ice cream after, smelled good and no smoke while cooking. The puff was 2 2/3 inches tall.

Irish Spring-Smelled really good with no smoke while cooking. Puffed up a little hard and didn’t fall apart when I touched it. The puff was 2 3/4 inches tall.

Dove- a little hot to touch, went a little soft and a little puff, no smell or smoke while in the microwave. The puff was 1/4 inch tall.

Ivory- really puffy and felt rubbery, soft and crumbled when I touched it. Smelled OK and did not smoke whole cooking. The puff was 2 3/4 inches tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment